Red velvet is one of my super favorite cupcake flavors (chocolate being on top lol), so one day, I decided to make my own batch. Gear up, ’cause this A-Z Blogging Challenge entry is about red velvet cupcakes!
I followed Aikko Aragon’s (of Bake Happy) recipe because it’s easy and very Pinoy. Haha. Check it out here: click!
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 36 cupcakes
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups Yakult
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 bottle red McCormick food color
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups butter
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup cream cheese
454 g / 1 pound confectioners sugar (sifted)
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup all purpose cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix Yakult, apple cider vinegar, whole bottle of red food color, vinegar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Dry whisk or sift (I like whisking dry ingredients so I used my trusty wire whisk). Set aside.
4. Cream together butter and sugar well.
6. Add the flour mixture and Yakult mixture in 3 lots. Mix well.
7. Pour in cupcake liners (2/3 full). Bake for 15 minutes.
For the frosting:
1. Cut butter into small chunks. Beat for 3 minutes, or until smooth.
2. Gradually add confectioners sugar. Mix well.
3. Add cream cheese (also cut in cubes). Mix well.
4. Add all-purpose cream. Again, mix well.
5. For the final touch, add vanilla extract.
Aaaaaand ta-daaah! My red velvet cupcakes!
My frosting’s a bit crunchy, but overall, it was good. 😉 My niece helped in the kitchen, and she’s also my first taste-tester. Thanks, Jaja!
(My niece, trying out “our” baked goodies lol)
Next time, I’ll try to add some red sugar crystals or choco powder on top. I’m still working on the whole baking thing. Hehe.
Happy blogging (and baking)!