Red velvet is one of my super favorite cupcake flavors (chocolate being on top lol), so one day, I decided to make my own batch. Gear up, ’cause this A-Z Blogging Challenge entry is about red velvet cupcakes!
I followed Aikko Aragon’s (of Bake Happy) recipe because it’s easy and very Pinoy. Haha. Check it out here: click!
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: 36 cupcakes
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups Yakult
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 bottle red McCormick food color
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups butter
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup cream cheese
454 g / 1 pound confectioners sugar (sifted)
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup all purpose cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix Yakult, apple cider vinegar, whole bottle of red food color, vinegar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Dry whisk or sift (I like whisking dry ingredients so I used my trusty wire whisk). Set aside.
4. Cream together butter and sugar well.
6. Add the flour mixture and Yakult mixture in 3 lots. Mix well.
7. Pour in cupcake liners (2/3 full). Bake for 15 minutes.
For the frosting:
1. Cut butter into small chunks. Beat for 3 minutes, or until smooth.
2. Gradually add confectioners sugar. Mix well.
3. Add cream cheese (also cut in cubes). Mix well.
4. Add all-purpose cream. Again, mix well.
5. For the final touch, add vanilla extract.
Aaaaaand ta-daaah! My red velvet cupcakes!
My frosting’s a bit crunchy, but overall, it was good. 😉 My niece helped in the kitchen, and she’s also my first taste-tester. Thanks, Jaja!
(My niece, trying out “our” baked goodies lol)
Next time, I’ll try to add some red sugar crystals or choco powder on top. I’m still working on the whole baking thing. Hehe.
Happy blogging (and baking)!
They look wonderful. But I am too lazy to go to all that trouble…Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are my friends and they have red velvet cakes.
Haha! Baking is a fun experience 😉 But I bet your friends’ cupcakes are delicious!
Nice, I’ll try that later….err, we’re on ‘U’ today (Thursday 24th), catch up, catch up!…maybe ‘umbrella cupcakes’…:-)
Hi Dani! Yes, I know. I really really need to catch up. Haha 🙂 I will try over the weekend.
And umbrella cupcakes? Nice idea! 😉
And congrats for indeed catching up!!!
Thank you! Good luck to you! 😀
You do yourself a GREAT disservice. You are NOT a disorganized brain etc. And do people take you seriously if you set yourself up that way? This is a fabulous blog post, organized to the max with the best ‘how to’ photos for making these cupcakes. Worthy of any food magazine. You need to redo your ‘about me’ so it reflects the worthwhile reading your blog is. Love what you’ve done. Claim it!
Wow. I’m very flattered by your comment, Stepheny. Thank you! I appreciate it a lot. 🙂
Pingback: Reflection: A-Z Blogging Challenge | Etcetera
Thank you for trying out my recipe! 🙂 hope you liked it!
Hi Aikko! Yes, we all liked it (my tasters and I hehe). Thank you so much for the yummy recipe! 😀